Government Boiler Upgrade Scheme For Commercial Properties
September 23rd, 2022
Last updated: January 10th, 2023
With sky-high energy prices, businesses need all the help and support they can get. One way that they can access that support is to apply for the boiler upgrade scheme, providing grants to help with the installation costs of new boiler systems and heating systems, some of which are far more efficient than the other methods of heating that businesses use. This means that commercial premises can take advantage of the scheme in multiple ways, saving by using a more efficient boiler or heat pump, and also saving on the initial cost of installing.
What is The Boiler Upgrade Scheme?
The Boiler Upgrade Scheme (BUS) is a fund set up by the UK government, available to commercial, non-domestic buildings throughout England and Wales. It is also available to homes, but only within certain criteria.
The scheme provides grants of up to £6,000 a time in order to help the property owners in replacing their existing gas or fossil fuel boiler with something that is more efficient, such as a heat pump or biomass boiler.
supports the decarbonisation of homes and small non-domestic buildings in England and Wales. The scheme provides upfront capital grants of £5000 or £6000 to encourage property owners to replace existing fossil fuel heating with more efficient, low carbon heating systems including heat pumps and biomass boilers.
Boiler Upgrade Scheme Eligibility
There are some rules regarding who the scheme is available for. The first of these is that the premises can be non-domestic. A business can take advantage of the scheme, but it isn’t suitable for bigger properties. There is a maximum capacity of the installation, set at 45kWth.
Other eligibility criteria include:
- The commissioning date of the system must be on or after 1st April 2022
- Biomass boilers are only suitable for properties in rural locations
- The scheme is in place only for the replacement of an oil or gas boiler or an electric heating system like a panel heater.
- Self-build properties including commercial properties are eligible to apply for the scheme.
- Even if you have received separate funding, such as an insulation finance scheme, you may apply for help with the boiler scheme.
The government website provides you with all the criteria for the scheme and whether you are eligible to apply for your business premises.
The scheme is run by Ofgem, and there is a large sum of £450m in funding available until 2025. The earlier you apply, the better your chances will be of being successful and taking advantage of this for your own commercial premises.
How to Apply
For advice on how to apply for the Boiler Upgrade Scheme (BUS) don’t forget that you can always contact Robinsons Facilities Services. We’re happy to advise on the current schemes and support that might be available to businesses at this time.
Though the scheme may not pay for the whole installation in some circumstances, it doesn’t mean that you can’t use it. You will be able to deduct the amount from the scheme from your cost of upgrading, so you don’t lose out.
The steps to apply for the upgrade scheme look something like this:
- Find an MCS certified installer that is able to carry out the installation, helping to protect you as a customer.
- The installer should be able to tell you whether the work you want done will be eligible for this cheme.
- A price is agreed, with a quote provided for the work you have requested.
- The installer handles the process of applying for the grant itself, with no need for you to fill in lots of annoying forms.
- You get an email from Ofgem to confirm you wish to apply.
- The money is deducted from your bill when the work has been completed.
We are Yorkshire’s leading commercial Boiler, Heating & Hot Water, maintenance and repair provider. If you need help accessing the BUS scheme in Yorkshire areas such as Leeds, York and Sheffield you can contact us for further advice. If you are wondering how you may be able to upgrade your commercial boiler and take advantage of a more efficient system, call Robinsons Facilities Services today on 01423 226578 or send us an enquiry.