Electrical, Lifts & Access
Building Management Systems
Building management systems are becoming more common, making buildings “smarter” and allowing people to control their business premises more effectively.
BMS (building management systems) are possible to retrofit and install in existing buildings as well as being incorporated into the design of business premises.
Robinsons Facilities Services offer installation as well as BMS system maintenance and repairs to ensure your premises are as efficient and effective as possible. Our Yorkshire-based team offers a fast and effective repair and maintenance service.
What is a Building Management System?
A building management system (BMS) is a computer-based control system installed in commercial buildings that controls and monitors the building’s mechanical and electrical equipment such as ventilation, lighting, alarms, power systems, fire systems, and security systems.
They can help to improve a building’s energy efficiency and reduce the running costs. BMS systems are also used to provide building occupants with a comfortable environment, more control and to ensure the building complies with health and safety regulations.
What Are the Benefits of Building Management Systems?
There are many benefits of building management systems, but some of the most common benefits include:
- Better security. Many systems allow you to monitor the security systems within your business. This can include CCTV, access control, and intruder alarms.
- Reduced energy consumption. By monitoring and controlling the building’s mechanical and electrical equipment, you can reduce your energy consumption and lower your bills.
- Improved comfort levels for occupants. BMS systems can be used to regulate heating, lighting, and ventilation to provide a comfortable environment for building occupants.
- Greater control. With a building management system, you can have greater control over your building’s systems and equipment. You can also access information about the building’s performance and energy consumption.
As technology improves, BMS systems are becoming much more mainstream, and the fact that they can potentially provide savings for a business can help with some costs in the long term.
What is a Trend BMS?
Trend is a Building Energy Management Systems provider focusing on energy and electricity systems. The company offers a comprehensive building management solution that is designed to provide better energy efficiency and improve comfort levels for occupants.
The system can be used to control the building’s heating and electrical systems.
Robinsons Facilities Services provides trend BMS maintenance, so if you have a Trend system and something goes wrong, or you simply need an annual service, get in touch today.
BMS systems including building energy management systems require regular maintenance. Though there are no regulations regarding the BMS itself, it is your responsibility to keep employees and customers safe.
We recommend that building management systems are serviced at least once a year to ensure they are operating correctly and to check for any faults.
BMS servicing varies depending on your system but can include:
- Regular inspections: Regular inspections of the BMS components, such as sensors, actuators, controllers, and servers, are necessary to ensure that they are functioning correctly. Any issues or faults are identified, and corrective actions are taken promptly.
- Cleaning and lubrication: Dirt and debris can accumulate on BMS components, which can impair their performance. Regular cleaning and lubrication are necessary to ensure that the system operates correctly.
- Firmware and software updates: BMS components are controlled by firmware and software. Regular updates are necessary to ensure that they are up to date and that they function correctly. These updates are typically performed by a qualified technician or service provider.
- Calibration: BMS sensors, controllers, and other components require calibration to ensure that they provide accurate readings and control signals. Regular calibration is necessary to maintain system accuracy and reliability.
- Backup and recovery: BMS data is critical to the building’s operation. Regular backups of BMS data are necessary to ensure that data is not lost in the event of a system failure. Recovery procedures are in place to ensure that BMS data is restored in the event of a system failure.
- Performance testing: BMS components must be tested regularly to ensure that they are performing according to their specifications. Testing can include functionality testing, load testing, and performance testing.
At Robinsons Facilities Services, we offer comprehensive building energy management system maintenance packages. We can tailor our services to suit your needs and budget. Contact us today to find out more.
Building management systems can vary greatly in their design. Our experienced team offers flexible repair and maintenance to ensure that no matter how your system is designed, we can maintain it to the highest standards, anywhere in Yorkshire.
Working across Yorkshire, we cover North Yorkshire, West Yorkshire, East Yorkshire and South Yorkshire and offer a fast, efficient response time to all breakdowns and repairs. Contact us today for all planned, reactive maintenance or emergency call out. Call 01423 226578 or get in touch to see how Robinsons Facilities Services can help.
Building Management Systems FAQs
It is estimated that many businesses can save 15-20% on certain costs, such as energy costs, with a smart building management system. This is dependent on a number of factors and the current efficiency of the building.
It varies depending on which system you use and how it is set up, but ventilation, lighting and emergency lighting, energy, fire safety systems, and security systems may all form part of your BMS.
A building management system will help with numerous security systems, which can include CCTV, access control, and intruder alarms, making your business more secure in the process.