Air Conditioning, Ventilation and Refrigeration
Commercial Kitchen Extraction System
It is crucial to keep your kitchen ventilation in excellent condition at all times, and commercial kitchens have some really strict guidelines and regulations regarding health and safety.
The guidelines are there for a reason, as a poorly-ventilated kitchen can prove to be hazardous for staff.
Robinsons Facilities Services can help to maintain your extraction system wherever in Yorkshire your premises are. Our expert team of Gas Safe Engineers can help to diagnose and repair breakdowns as well as making sure that your system is maintained to a high standard.
What Do Commercial Kitchen Extraction Systems Do?
A commercial kitchen extraction system will provide you with a safe and controlled environment in which to cook. They work by removing any harmful fumes or smoke that may be produced during cooking and also help to keep the air quality high.
Ventilation systems draw out stale and potentially contaminated air, and allow fresh air to come in and take its place.
Without an extraction system in your commercial kitchen, smoke, gases, and heat would build up in the area and there could even be carbon dioxide building up inside your kitchen.
Types of Commercial Extraction Systems
There are two main types of commercial kitchen extraction systems:
- Canopy hoods
- Grease filters
A canopy hood is a metal frame that sits over your cooking area, and is often used in commercial kitchens. They work by drawing air up through the hood and then out of the kitchen.
Grease filters are usually made from stainless steel, and they’re used to remove grease and smoke from the air. They work by drawing air through the filter, which then traps the grease and smoke.
The Importance of Maintaining Your Extraction System
Your commercial kitchen extraction system is an important part of your business, and it’s important to make sure that it’s maintained to a high standard.
A well-maintained extraction system will:
- Remove any harmful fumes or smoke from the air
- Help to keep the air quality high
- Prevent carbon dioxide from building up in the kitchen
Maintaining your commercial kitchen extraction system is not only important for the safety of your employees, but it’s also important for the quality of the food that you serve. If grease and contaminants build up in your kitchen then this could be a big risk to health and safety.
The risks of failing to keep a clean and efficient ventilation system for commercial kitchens include:
- Indoor Air Pollution. Poor ventilation can lead to the accumulation of indoor air pollutants, such as cooking odors, smoke, and airborne particles. This can result in reduced air quality, leading to discomfort and health issues.
- Exposure to Cooking Emissions. Incomplete removal of cooking emissions, including grease, fumes, and particulate matter, can lead to health problems when inhaled or ingested. Long-term exposure can increase the risk of respiratory issues and cardiovascular conditions.
- Fire Hazards. Inadequate ventilation can lead to a buildup of flammable gases and particles from gas stoves or cooking oils. This increases the risk of kitchen fires and accidents.
- Carbon Monoxide (CO) Buildup. Gas stoves, when not properly vented, can produce carbon monoxide, a colourless, odorless gas that is toxic when inhaled in large quantities. Inadequate ventilation may allow CO to accumulate, posing a serious health risk.
- Heat Accumulation. Poor ventilation can cause heat to accumulate in the kitchen, making it uncomfortable to work in and increasing the risk of heat-related illnesses, particularly in hot climates.
- Excessive Humidity. High humidity levels can promote the growth of bacteria and fungi, leading to food spoilage and contamination risks in the kitchen. It can be very unpleasant, too.
- Bad Smells. Inadequate ventilation may result in lingering cooking odors, which can be unpleasant and affect the overall indoor environment.
- Grease Buildup. Poor ventilation can allow cooking grease to accumulate on kitchen surfaces, which not only poses a fire hazard but also requires more frequent and challenging cleaning efforts.
Complying With Gas Safe Regulations
If your kitchen uses gas appliances then you must ensure that you stay compliant with health and safety regulations, including Gas Safe regulations. You may need a flue which helps you to get rid of heat and vapours and keep your kitchen free of contamination.
Regular maintenance, including kitchen duct cleaning, to ensure you are operating within health and safety regulations is also crucial, and your responsibility within the Health and Safety at Work Act.
If you have concerns about the effectiveness or compliance of your system, our Gas Safe registered engineers can advise you on staying within the rules and keeping your workspace safe.
Commercial Kitchen Extraction System Maintenance
There are different elements to keeping your system well-maintained. It is vital to clean all parts of the system on a regular basis, as well as checking for any signs of wear and tear. Cleaning the hoods and grease filters may be required daily, and you should have a system in place to ensure your team is keeping the extraction system clean.
You may even need to provide proof of cleaning and records of maintenance in the event of an inspection. Environmental Health Officers (EHOs) will visit commercial kitchens regularly.
We recommend both deep cleaning and maintenance at least once a year to ensure that your system is compliant, and possibly more frequently in kitchens that see a lot of use. Regular cleaning should already be a part of your business routine to ensure that the ventilation systems do not get clogged.
Without adequate maintenance, your commercial kitchen extraction system can be a risk to your employees or to your customers. Our team can help your Yorkshire-based business with your ventilation and extraction needs.
Working across Yorkshire, we cover North Yorkshire, West Yorkshire, East Yorkshire and South Yorkshire and offer a fast, efficient response time to all breakdowns and repairs. Contact us today for all planned, reactive maintenance or emergency call out. Call 01423 226578 or get in touch to see how Robinsons Facilities Services can help.
Our customers love us! Read our testimonials.
Commercial Kitchen Extraction System FAQs
Yes, there is a legal requirement that every commercial kitchen has an extraction system or at least adequate ventilation. This must be checked and maintained regularly.
A hood with a fan works to remove the air from your kitchen and allow fresh air to replace the heat, smoke, and grease-filled air. There are filters within that may trap some of the particles before the air goes into the ducting system.
As a minimum, we recommend that your kitchen extraction system and ventilation is cleaned every twelve months, and filters may well need replacing more frequently than this.