Air Conditioning, Ventilation and Refrigeration
Commercial Refrigeration Service
When dealing with refrigeration, you can’t be too careful. It is absolutely crucial to make sure that your commercial refrigerator is regularly serviced and functioning at a high level. This helps you to ensure that you are storing the contents safely, but also can have other benefits for your business.
Benefits of Servicing Your Commercial Refrigerator
While there is some commercial refrigerator maintenance that you can carry out yourself, such as cleaning, it is a good idea to have a professional service at regular intervals. This may be as part of a planned preventative maintenance schedule within your kitchen.
The benefits of regular servicing include:
- Catching issues early. By getting your fridge professionally maintained regularly, you are likely to catch issues before they become more serious, and more costly.
- Ensuring your fridge is running efficiently and not wasting electricity.
- Saving money in the long run. Commercial refrigeration repairs can be expensive, but by having regular servicing, you can avoid these costs.
- Ensuring compliance with food safety standards. If you store food items in your commercial fridge, then you need to make sure that it is compliant with food safety regulations. A professional service will help to ensure this.
- Checking for potential hazards such as potentially harmful leaks from your refrigeration system.
- Peace of mind. Knowing that your commercial refrigerator is in good working order can give you peace of mind and help you to focus on other aspects of running your business.
Risks of A Poorly Maintained Chiller or Refrigerator
Commercial fridge maintenance is about reducing risks to customers and staff. It is worth considering the risks of not maintaining your system properly, and these include:
- Potentially serving food that is unsafe. If food or medicine is not kept at a safe temperature then bacteria can grow and make people very unwell if they consume the substance.
- Being found to have poor food hygiene standards. An Environmental Health Officer will check food storage as part of their commercial kitchen checks and ratings.
- A poorly maintained chiller or refrigerator can lead to a shorter lifespan of the equipment. Regular maintenance and servicing can help to prolong the lifespan of the equipment, ensuring it operates efficiently and effectively for a more extended period.
How Often Do I Need a Commercial Fridge Service?
There should be some consideration about usage here. If you are getting a commercial chiller service and you only use the chiller for cooling sealed drinks that are safe to consume at any temperature, the service might be less pressing.
If you are storing fresh food or medicine, you need to maintain even higher standards.
We recommend either a six-monthly or quarterly commercial refrigeration service to check that your fridge system is in good working order.
How to Maintain a Commercial Fridge
There are plenty of things you can do in the meantime, and your staff should maintain a fridge maintenance schedule in between servicing.
- Clean and check the door seals. Check the door seals for dirt or debris and clean them as necessary.
- Regularly throw away food that is past its “use by” date. This helps to keep the fridge clean and also prevents you from serving out-of-date food.
- Ensure that the temperature is set correctly. This should be between 0 and + five degrees Celsius for commercial fridges storing fresh food.
- Keep an eye on stock levels. If your fridge is always full, this can make it harder to keep the correct temperature.
There is plenty that you can do to try and keep your refrigerator functioning at its full potential, but there is still a good cause for regular servicing by the pros.
What Sort of Things Will a Commercial Refrigerator Service Involve?
- Checking the quality and sanitation of condenser coils, evaporator, and all other components that come into contact with food.
- Temperature testing: The technician will test the temperature of the refrigerator to ensure that it is operating at the correct temperature range to keep food safe and fresh.
- Checking door seals. The technician should inspect the door seals to ensure that they are sealing correctly and not allowing cold air to escape, which can cause the system to work harder and consume more energy.
- Checking electrical components such as switches, thermostats, and wiring to ensure that they are functioning correctly and not posing a safety hazard.
- Inspecting refrigerant levels. The technician will check the refrigerant levels and pressure to ensure that they are within the manufacturer’s recommended range. Low refrigerant levels can cause the system to work harder and consume more energy, while high levels can damage the compressor.
- Comprehensive system check: The technician will perform a comprehensive check of the entire refrigeration system to ensure that it is functioning correctly and not posing any risks to food safety or health.
When the professionals come, such as our trained and knowledgeable staff, they will be able to perform checks on the function of the fridge, including checking any refrigerant gases and cleaning the coils to ensure safe and efficient function.
Our professional team of trained engineers can advise you on the specific maintenance your system requires, with trained engineers available to service your refrigerator across the North of England. Our Yorkshire-based team performs planned maintenance as well as emergency repairs as required.
Working across Yorkshire, we cover North Yorkshire, West Yorkshire, East Yorkshire and South Yorkshire and offer a fast, efficient response time to all breakdowns and repairs. Contact us today for all planned, reactive maintenance or emergency call out. Call 01423 226578 or get in touch to see how Robinsons Facilities Services can help.
Commercial Refrigerator Service FAQs
Commercial refrigeration refers to any cold storage facility in manufacturing units, food stores, and a variety of other commercial settings to keep food or other perishables at the correct temperature.
Commercial refrigerators vary in quality and some can last upwards of 20 years, but it depends on the build of the refrigeration unit and, crucially, the commercial refrigeration maintenance.
Failure to get a commercial refrigerator serviced can lead to a shorter lifespan. It can also provide you with more frequent problems and costly repairs as well as potential spoilage. Many perishables must be reliably stored at low temperatures.