Electrical, Lifts & Access
Fire Protection Services
The risk of a fire in a commercial property is something that every business and commercial landlord should be managing. As you will know, fires can be catastrophic for businesses, their equipment, the environment, and of course, the people in the area.
Did you know that there are around 20,000 commercial property fires every year in the UK? That is why there are strict guidelines on fire safety.
Why Fire Protection is Crucial For Commercial Properties
Fire protection in commercial buildings is essential. The consequences of a fire in any business can be devastating, not just in terms of the damage to the property but also in terms of the disruption to your operations and the potential for loss of life.
A fire protection strategy should be an integral part of your overall risk management plan for your business.
What Are Fire Protection Systems?
Fire protection systems include a range of measures designed to detect and extinguish fires quickly. They may also be used to help people evacuate a building safely in the event of a fire.
There are many different types of fire protection systems, and the most appropriate for your business will depend on the type of premises you have, the nature of your business operations, and your obligations in line with The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005.
Fire protection systems may include:
- Fire alarm systems to alert people of a potential fire.
- Fire sprinkler systems to extinguish fires quickly.
- Smoke ventilation systems to help clear smoke from a building.
- Fire doors and other fire-resistant materials to help contain a fire within a specific area.
- Emergency lighting to help people evacuate safely, this must be tested and checked annually.
Staying Compliant With Fire Safety Regulations
As a commercial property owner or manager, you have a legal responsibility to ensure that your premises are safe and compliant with fire safety regulations.
The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 requires you to carry out a risk assessment of your premises and put in place appropriate fire safety measures.
You must also appoint one or more competent persons to carry out regular checks on fire safety equipment. For instance:
- You must have a fire risk assessment which is updated regularly and recorded by law (if you have more than four employees).
- You must have working smoke alarms and a fire extinguisher on each floor.
- Your exits must be clearly marked and free from obstruction, even in the event of a power cut.
- You should conduct regular fire drills so that everyone in your premises knows what to do in the event of a fire.
- Fire alarms must be regularly checked.
It is also crucial that you have appropriate fire fighting equipment, this may be a fire extinguisher, or it may be a hose reel or sprinkler system. Your fire fighting system must be checked at least annually by a competent professional.
Robinsons Facilities Services offers a comprehensive fire protection service for commercial premises anywhere in Yorkshire. We can carry out risk assessments which can form the main part of your fire protection strategy. Our professional team can also install and maintain fire safety equipment, and provide training for your staff on how to use it.
When you choose Robinsons Facilities Services to maintain and repair your fire protection equipment, our experienced engineers are here to ensure peace of mind for your business. We cover all of Yorkshire and will attend your premises as quickly as possible in the event of any safety concerns.
Get in touch with us today or book a free site survey to discuss fire protection services.