Plumbing, Cold Water & Hygiene
Commercial properties with water systems have to be very careful when it comes to Legionella, and Legionella water testing and risk assessments are an important part of staying legally compliant.
Exposure to Legionella bacteria can lead to a potentially fatal form of pneumonia, and it is quite easy to become infected by airborne particles and other contaminants. Legionella bacteria grows in water systems where the temperature is between 20°C to 45°C, and the optimum range is between 35°C and 40°C. It is very hard to completely eradicate the bacteria from man-made water systems and so you need to monitor systems, plant and equipment very closely.
What Does Legionella Testing Involve?
First of all, you need to appoint a competent person who is qualified and able to carry out monitoring and control of your water hygiene. The testing and monitoring will involve:
- Implementing and managing these control measures including Legionella temperature testing, sampling, dosing, and cleaning systems in line with HSE’s Legionella guidance.
- Taking samples that are then lab-tested to identify any potentially harmful bacteria.
- Maintaining records such as a Legionella monitoring log book, where any work, risks, and checks are recorded for future inspection and as proof of your compliance with health and safety regulations.
- Repeating this program on a routine basis. Our team can create a planned preventative maintenance program and visit regularly as required to help you to ensure continual compliance.
Our team of experienced professionals can also help with the following:
- Carrying out a water safety risk assessment.
- Preparing control measures to prevent bacteria growth.
- Providing training for your employees to help keep your water system safe in between maintenance visits.
We can also provide you with specific Legionella plans, risk assessments and tests to help you with your specific needs, such as a closed system water treatment which may have different requirements to other systems. Read our article on how to test for legionella for further information.
What is ACoP L8?
The Approved Code of Practice (ACoP) L8 Legionella code of practice provides guidance on how to comply with the requirements of the Legionella regulations. The HSE recommends that you should have a water safety system and documentation in place to help you manage Legionella risks, and our team can provide support and advice on how to set this up.
When it comes to hazardous substances, you can’t afford to take any risks, and you have legal obligations to comply with the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH) regulations, and a duty of care to your workforce and customers.
Controlling The Risk of Legionella
Your risk assessment can help you to establish the necessary steps to control the risk of Legionella, including weekly and monthly actions you can take. These include:
- Flushing out systems that are not used regularly.
- Cleaning and disinfecting shower heads, taps, and other outlets.
- Monitoring the temperature in your water system.
We can act as your competent professional to carry out all your site monitoring and testing. This means we can use our experience to identify risks in your system, implement controls and monitor how the controls work.
Our experience allows us to work with you to design a monitoring program that suits your organisation, and will leave you fully compliant and with a robust system with sufficient ongoing controls in place. We will then continue to manage the system on an ongoing basis and leave you with all the documentation and interim monitoring tasks you need.
Our engineers are stationed throughout the Yorkshire region and have helped us establish ourselves as one of the best providers of Legionella testing in the region.
Contact us today and we can work with you to test your system or create a Legionella monitoring program to suit you.
Please call our Yorkshire head office on 01423 226578 for more information.
Why Choose Robinsons Facilities Services?
- Adaptable prices
- 24/7/365 availability
- Highly trained experts
- Years of experience
Our customers love us! Read our testimonials.