Plumbing, Cold Water & Hygiene
Water Chlorination Certificate
A water chlorination certificate demonstrates that you have chlorinated and treated your water to a professional standard. This way, you can prove to your local water authority or utility companies that your water is safe for use.
Looking for a water chlorination certificate near Yorkshire? Our team of skilled professionals provide water chlorination services across Yorkshire. Get in touch today to discuss your water hygiene needs.
What Is a Water Chlorination Certificate?
A water chlorination certificate proves that you have properly treated and disinfected your water system and that it’s safe for human consumption. As a commercial property owner, you may need to provide this proof of disinfection to your local water company.
You will often need to provide this certificate when you install a new water supply system on your premises or modify your existing one.
When Do You Need a Water Chlorination Certificate?
There are several reasons why your commercial property might need professional water chlorination certification. These include:
- When selling a commercial property with its own water supply, the new owners must have the water quality certified.
- If you install a new water system or components within your water system.
- When the system has been out of use for a long time, and you plan to use it again.
- After experiencing a Legionella outbreak or if Legionella has shown on a test.
- If there is any indication of stagnation in the tanks or water system.
Water chlorination contractors, such as the experienced team at Robinsons Facilities Services, can help you with all aspects of water management. Give us a call at 01423226578 for a free, no-obligation quote.
How to Obtain Water Chlorination Certification
If your commercial property requires a water chlorination certificate, you must contact a reputable water hygiene provider. Moreover, the provider must have the necessary certifications and comply with British Standards.
Based in Yorkshire, we offer professional chlorination services and UKAS testing nationwide. Our technicians are fully accredited, WIAPS (WRAS) registered, and comply with the British Standards BS 6700, BS EN 806 or BS 8558.
We will also ensure your system complies with ACoP L8 (HSG 274) and COSHH regulations.
What Happens During Water Chlorination?
The water chlorination process typically looks like this:
- Step 1: The water chlorination contractor will visit your site to assess the system.
- Step 2: They will take a reading to test how much chlorine is in the water supply (from your utility company)
- Step 3: The contractors will pre-flush the water system and pipes with clean water to get rid of any debris
- Step 4: They will fill the pipes and water system with chlorine or other chemical treatments. This solution stays in contact with the system for a period to disinfect it thoroughly.
- Step 5: They flush the system again to remove the chlorine and return it to its original reading.
- Step 6: Water is then held in the pipes for some time before the contractor takes a sample and sends it to a UKAS lab for testing.
- Step 7: To obtain the chlorination certificate, the test results must indicate that the system complies with British Standards BS6700, BS EN 806 or BS8558.
Our dedicated team can tailor this process to suit your business needs.
How Long Does Water Chlorination Take?
The timeframe for the water disinfection process can vary, depending on your water system, its size, accessibility, and how dirty the water is.
On average, our engineers take between 3-6 hours to chlorinate your water system, but we work on a case-by-case basis. Our team will visit your site to give you an estimate of how long the process will take.
Upon completing the water chlorination, we can provide you with a certificate immediately. Then, the water sample results typically return within 3-5 working days. Once you receive them, you must send them to your water utility company.
This is an important step, as some water companies, such as Yorkshire Water, won’t connect your water without a copy of the sample results and a valid certificate. As such, always check these requirements with your water utility company.
What Does the Chlorination Certificate Prove?
The documentation proves to your local water company or regulatory body that you have chlorinated your water system correctly. It also demonstrates that your commercial property complies with British Standards and water hygiene regulations.
Water chlorination not only ensures safety but also maintains the quality of water. Proper disinfection can address impurities, taste, and odour issues, making your water safe for various uses. What’s more, it provides evidence that may protect you in a legal battle or dispute in the future.
Water Chlorination Services in Yorkshire: Why Choose Us?
We offer a variety of commercial water hygiene services in Yorkshire and beyond. From water chlorination certificates to Legionella monitoring, you can trust our experienced team to keep your water supply safe.
Here are some of the water hygiene services we provide in the Yorkshire area:
- Water sampling
- Industrial water tank cleaning
- Commercial Plumbing
- Industrial water treatment
- RPZ valve testing
- Legionella risk assessments
We conduct all our testing to the highest standards and ensure legal compliance with COSHH regulations.
Why Choose Robinsons Facilities Services?
- Adaptable prices
- 24/7/365 availability
- Highly trained experts
- Years of experience
Our customers love us! Read our testimonials.
Water Chlorination Certificate FAQs
In many cases, you will need to chlorinate new pipework during construction. This helps to ensure it’s safe to drink by killing pathogens, bacteria, and viruses. You may also need to chlorinate your pipework if you haven’t used it for a long time.
Chlorination kills most bacteria. However, some germs, such as Giardia, Hepatitis A, and Cryptosporidium, are, to varying degrees, chlorine tolerant.
A water chlorination certificate is provided by a third party to prove that you have properly chlorinated your water system. You may need to conduct a chemical disinfection within your water system to obtain this.
Every local water authority has its own water chlorination specifications based on flushing, chlorine levels, contact time, and chemical analysis. As such, it’s critical to work with a local water hygiene provider who is familiar with the guidelines of your authority.
The cost of water chlorination services can vary depending on the size of your commercial water system. Generally, you can expect to pay between £300 and £1500 for this service.
Yes, we offer tailored water chlorination services, including water sampling from UKAS-accredited labs.